Neil Burton – Principal Consultant
Neil has over 23 years’ Health, Safety and Environmental risk management work experience within the Major Hazards and Heavy Construction related Industries. He has site and senior country and regional Leadership experience and lead Health and Safety Best Practice collaborations across industry in both the UK and in NZ.
He has significant worldwide Oil & Gas Major Projects experience as both a Project Manager and as an HSE Manager covering Design, ALARP Demonstrations (Safety Cases), Management Systems Development and Contractor HSE. He has Governance experience, helped Board and Senior Leadership teams in their personal Health and Safety competence development. Neil has been a guest presenter at Industry Conferences.
Neil relates well to people at all levels of an Organisation, and has a proven record of successfully influencing and introducing improvements that deliver a high level of HSE cultural performance that are pragmatic, cost effective and sustainable.
H&S Qualifications / Credentials
- Chemistry (NZCS).
- Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health (Massey).
- Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health (NSCA-Australia).
- NZ Certificate of Quality Assurance (NZQA).
- Tripod Beta Incident Investigation.
- Auditing in a Technical Environment.
- JMJ Safety Leadership Coach.
- Manage a Crisis & CIMMS.
- John F Campbell 'Gas Conditioning and Processing' Certificate.
- Shell International Competencies:
- Technical HSE and Project HSE Technical Authority-level 2.
- HSSE & SP Authorised Person-Projects.
- HSSE Leadership (Lead/Prepare/Apply) Competence Assessor.
- Contract Holder.
- 2011 Finalist in NZ 'HSE Practitioner of the Year' Award (Safeguard)
- 2016 Co-authored the Shell Global 'Projects HSE Guide'
- Member of Taranaki 'BEST' CEO HSE Forum
- Member of New Zealand 'Zero Harm' National strategic HSE Forum and Strategic Group (Business Leaders Forum).
- Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (IOSH-UK), Chartered Professional
- New Zealand Institute of Safety Management (NZISM), Member Professional
- HASANZ Registered Health and Safety Professional
The following provides an illustration of the type of work Neil has carried out:
- HSE Management Systems and best practices implementation in NZ Operations (Onshore and offshore sites-Kapuni, Maui, Pohokura) Helicopter and Marine Logistics, Product Storage and Road Transport. Regulator, NGO and community Liaison. Emergency and Crisis Management systems implementation and Leadership Training.
- Developing the HSE Management Systems to cover all the project Phases, staffing, budget, assurance and reporting processes, e.g. Major Hazard Facilities Design, Construction and Operations as HSE Manager for Mega Projects in Philippines, Malaysia and Denmark. Contracting sites in Batam (Indonesia), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Cadiz (Spain), Aberdeen (UK), Ravenna (Italy), Netherlands and Norway.
- Independent HSE Auditor for HSSE & SP Control Framework and HSE in Projects, e.g. Arrow Energy (Sites in Queensland and NSW Australia), Real-estate buildings and facilities (Manila- Philippines and Bejing –China)
- Contract Scope development, HSE Prequalification Audit, Tender evaluation and Post Award Contract HSE Plan development, e.g. SubSea7 Pipe-lay (UK), Allseas and Heerama Decommissioning (Netherlands), Keppel Shipbuilding (Singapore/Philippines), Fluor (Philippines), Dragados Jacket fabrication (Spain), McDermott Process Topsides EPC (Malaysia/Indonesia), Rosetti EPC Accommodation Topsides EPC (Italy).
- Fatal Accident and Serious Injury-Root Cause Investigation, e.g., Ship Electrician Crushed by Watertight door, Fall from height.
- Upstream and Country HSE Manager: Shell Todd Oil Services Ltd/Shell –New Zealand
- Tyra Redevelopment Project HSE Manager: Shell/Total/Maersk-Denmark
- HSE Delivery Manager Projects Operated Asia: Shell-Malaysia
- Malampaya Project Phase2 & 3 HSSE Manager: Shell-Philippines
- FPSO Mooring System Decommissioning Project Manager: Shell-New Zealand
- ‘Step Change in Safety’ support Team Leader: Shell- UK
- Assistant Operations Supervisor/Operations Team Leader Kapuni: Shell-New Zealand
- Production Chemist Maui: Shell-New Zealand